BotStar can integrate your bot into website in two ways:
1. BotStar’s Website Chat Plugin: A proprietary livechat widget is built by BotStar. It's highly customizable and allow better branding. Your end users won't have to log-in to use this chat.
2. Facebook Messenger’s Customer Chat Plugin: allows you to integrate Messenger directly into your website. Chat users on website can receive broadcasts via Facebook Messenger.
You can use both ways simultaneously on the same or different websites.
Set up BotStar Web Widget
Bot Builder >
Publishing Configuration >
For each option, the system generates an embedded code so that you can insert into the HTML code of your website. BotStar also offers some settings to customize Web Widget.
Copy the code snippet in Embedded Code and insert into the HTML code of your website right before the
BotStar’s Website Chat Plugin
- Embedded Code with Display Modes: Generated code with selected display mode to insert bot into your webpage, you can insert one bot per webpage. See how each of display modes works in detailed section below.
- Whitelisted Domains: The list of domains allowed to insert bot by using the Website Chat Plugin. Your chatbot will only run on these websites.
- Enable Guest User: Treat all of your website visitors as guests. Turn off this option to start converting your website visitors into Website Audience. Read more in detailed section below.
- Show Entry Block First: Entry block is always the first message Facebook Messenger users see upon the first time they chat with the bot on Web Widget.
- Prompt User Automatically: Show chat popup automatically upon the web page finishes loading instead of clicking on the chatbot icon.
- Do Not Keep Conversation History: Next time your users chat with the bot again, they will be not shown the previous conversations. We do not recommend this behavior unless it fits your business scenario.
- Greeting Message (on/off): Enable/Disable your greeting message for first-time customers
- Custome Name: Display name in the chat box of the Website Chat Plugin, the default name is BotStar Widget
- Theme Color: Choose the primary color for your chatbot widget. It is recommended to choose the colors that show your Brand or match the Website.
- Display Avatar: We recommend using a personalized picture of your brand. Picture should be transparent hight quality PNG.
Facebook Messenger’s Customer Chat Plugin
- Whitelisted Domains: List of third-party domains that are accessible in the Messenger webview. You can also publish your chatbot for the whitelisted domains (websites).
- Display Chatbot Dialog: How the chat dialog appears.
- Theme Color: Choose the primary and secondary color for your chatbot widget. It is recommended to choose the colors that show your Brand or match the Website.
- Greeting for user: Greeting for users returning to Bot after chatting
- Greeting for guest: Greeting for the first time users chat with Bot
Display Modes for Widget
Note: For Facebook Messenger’s Customer Chat Plugin, you are only able to use "Livechat" mode.
Record Website Audience
Note: For Facebook Messenger’s Customer Chat Plugin, an audience is recorded the same as running on Messenger.
How is a Website Audience Counted?
Unlike Facebook Audience, a Website Audience is not recorded by default, you will need to disable the option "Enable Guest User" first.
Even that option is turned off, your website visitors still are not recorded unless they provide their information (essentially their email address). Which means, your Website Audiences are counted by validated email addresses.
Each visitor can associate with one proper email address which makes them an audience.
We provide two methods to use in combination or separate, please choose the best way in order to successfully record your Website Audience.
Using Add Subscriber action in flow
You can utilise the Add Subscriber action to ask your website visitors to leave their email before continuing the rest of designed flow. In addition, their name will be asked as well.
When using the action, your website visitors will not be able to continue the flow unless they fill in a correct email address and non-empty of their name.
It is recommended to customise the Prompt Message to fit your flow and business it serves.
Using Widget JS API on website
Widget JS API provides you advanced functionality to control the widget on your website and ability to feed your bot with your user information. It is one possible way to turn your existed users into your Website Audiences on BotStar.
Various usage of provided API includes:
- Update current visitor/audience with essential data: name, email, picture, user attributes and tags.
- Open/close the widget (available to Livechat and Popup mode).
- Listen on the event of widget's open/close to perform extra function.
Follow our Widget JS API Reference more detail of using this method.
After changing the settings for the bot, please go to Publish your Bot > Update to update any changes.
Note: All changes only apply after updating Bot. You can also stop your Bot activity at any time by clicking on Shut Down button.
Integrate into WordPress
Please click here to read more about how to integrate BotStar chatbot into WordPress.